The moment we find out we’re expecting is life-changing in many ways. The joy and excitement of a little person joining our family makes us strive to be the absolute best version of ourselves - and we also want them to inherit the best possible version of our planet. In turn, we become painfully aware of the mark ourselves and our children might leave on the world.
At Kit & Kin, we know first hand how overwhelming it can be to navigate the stormy waters of eco claims. We believe that greenwashing is unacceptable. So let’s get down to the nitty-gritty and break down exactly how you are making a positive impact by choosing Kit & Kin.
What does eco-friendly mean?
Our entire range is eco-friendly, meaning that every single product has been “designed to have little or no damaging effect on the environment” (Cambridge Dictionary).
This is true for how our ingredients and materials are sourced as well as where and how our products are made. From our diapers produced in our carbon neutral plant in the Czech Republic, to the 100% organic cotton sourced from Portugal for our babywear range, it’s all about products that are kind to the planet.
In our opinion, any company that claims to be eco-friendly should also give back to our planet. That’s why every Kit & Kin product you buy, helps protect acres of rainforest FOREVER through the Kit & Kin Foundation!
Our customers have already saved thousands of acres of precious habitats!
What does sustainable mean?
Sustainability is the golden principle we source our ingredients and materials by. While giving back and minimising our impact on the planet is fantastic, we want to go a step further and ensure that the resources we use are not exhausted by the time our children grow up.
Sustainability means “meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs” (UN Bruntland Commission).
So instead of using petrochemicals, we opt for plant-based alternatives that will continue to grow back and are also so much better for baby’s skin.
Our diapers are the most accredited eco option on the planet:
- We use a sustainable material made from sugarcane
- No plastic against baby’s skin, only the gentlest plant based materials
- Our absorbent core is made from bio-based SAP and wood fluff pulp from sustainably managed forests - certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)
- Our packaging is 100% sustainable and recyclable
- All lovingly made in our carbon-neutral factory in Czech Republic
Our wipes manufacturer is a climate neutral company. Both our wipes and diaper sacks are also 100% plant based and biodegradable.
What are natural ingredients?
Newborn skin is delicate! And it absorbs up to 60% of the ingredients in the products we use.
It’s shocking how many bath and body products still contain toxic ingredients:
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES)
- Mineral Oil
Kit & Kin skincare only uses pure oils, gentle herbs and the cleanest ingredients made from natural sources as opposed to petroleum jelly. But don’t take our word for it!
Our skincare is certified natural by the COSMOS association. It’s also clinically tested to ensure it’s hypoallergenic and approved by dermatologists.
What are the benefits of organic cotton?
Our clothing range is made from 100% organic cotton.
What we stay away from:
- pesticides or other harmful toxins used in the farming of conventional cotton
What we do instead:
- rotate crops
- remove weeds physically instead of using herbicides
- hoe by hand
- allow beneficial insects to counteract the bad
Better working conditions, uncompromised water quality and strong healthy soil. And most importantly, as parents we can breathe easy knowing we dress our babies in the purest textiles.
Why we don’t use bamboo
There’s a good reason why Global Organic Textile Standards don’t certify bamboo textiles - not even when they have been produced with organically grown bamboo:
- processing coarse bamboo is a long, energy intensive process
- nasty chemicals are required to make it into a soft fabric
- once the yarn has been produced, it’s usually treated with dyes, bleaches or formaldehyde
- most bamboo products are shipped from China, which means the carbon emissions from the shipping will be higher
Protecting your world naturally
Making eco-conscious swaps every day is one easy way to manage our impact on the environment. Not only does this benefit our planet, but your family too - plant-based and chemical-free products are best for baby’s skin.
If you choose a Kit & Kin diaper subscription:
- you are single-handedly saving 5 magnificent rainforest trees
- your 5 trees create 7600 tonnes of water
- your 5 trees protect 13 tonnes of carbon
On top of supporting the permanent protection of rainforest, every Kit & Kin product you buy also supports communities - in the rainforest as well as at home in the UK.
The Kit & Kin Foundation provides:
- Health Care - You support sustainable community development projects in Sierra Santa Cruz, a mountain range in the north-east of Guatemala. Every time you purchase a Kit & Kin product, you are helping fund health care and family planning clinics. These clinics provide local women with essential services such as ante- and postnatal care.
- Educational scholarships - Giving the children of Sierra Santa Cruz access to materials, uniforms, food and transport and therefore allowing them to go to school.
Diapers for those who need them the most - Regular donations of diapers to baby banks up and down the UK. This ensures our diapers reach those families who most desperately need them.
One small swap makes a real difference when we all come together, and we’re so grateful to our customers who make this possible.